First hospital corps school for the Navy’s Women’s Reserve at National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland, opened 12 January 1944, with 240 enlisted women reporting. The curriculum will be under direction of members of the Navy Nurses Corps. Inspection party in the model ward while Captain John Harper, MC, USN, Commanding Officer, demonstrates Navy method of making beds. Listening are (left to right): Captain Sue S. Dauser, NC, USN, Superintendent of the Navy Nurses Corps; Commander Warren G. Wieand, MC, USN, executive officer of the school; Captain Mildred H. McAfee, USNR, Director of the WAVES, and Lieutenant Grace B. Lally, NC, USN, Chief Nurse.
Photo source: National Museum of the U.S. Navy
Usage: Public Domain